Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mambo

Hello again! It's great to hear that everyone is doing really well. Zanzibar continues to be paradise... Beaches and boats, giant clams and 2 foot long sea cucumbers.

I realized today that in the past 48 hours I have received at least 4 marriage proposals. Some of them were typical requests, such as, "Will you marry me?" While others were more demanding- "I will marry you. I will come with you to America tomorrow with Mr. Bush to get married!" Others, yet, were more round-about. For instance, "I want to tell you the story of how we got married. Will you sit with me and listen to my story," and, "take me back in your suitcase so we can get married" I think I should start keeping a journal of all of the funny one-liners that people use on us.

I'm definitely having a lesson in frugality here. The other day we went to the beach on our day off. I thought I was going to buy 3 mangoes for 1000 Tsh to share with everyone (note $1=1200 Tsh), but the man I bought them from gave me two extras... so 5 mangoes for less than a dollar. It's insane! But it's also really unbelievable to see some of the poverty... Even though the mangoes were literally dimes, many families can't afford them. I think it's giving us all a really new perspective on the distribution of wealth in this world.

Well, class in 5 minutes, gotta go. Happy Birthday, Laurie-- I hope it was a good one!

I also wanted to tell everyone that I goofed up with my phone number. I think you call this number: 011 255 0777641798. Maybe that will work for those of you who said the other one didn't. :) What an adventure. Later!

No comments: